Thelma Plum has released her long-awaited Meanjin EP. Described as a “love letter to her hometown” of Meanjin/Brisbane, the six-track release is Plum’s first collection of new material since her 2019 album, Better In Blak.
Thelma Plum – ‘The Brown Snake’
According to Plum, Meanjin is a reflection on her time growing up in, and returning to, the Sunshine State. Accordingly, ‘The Brown Snake’ takes is name from the nickname given to the Brisbane River. In the song’s Johnny Moubarak-directed clip, Plum and her band take a ferry ride along the river.
“In strange times, you always tend to look back at warm memories for comfort, and when I was confined to an apartment overlooking the Brown Snake, I found myself writing music about Meanjin, the place I grew up in and have gravitated back to,” Plum said. “It’s blowing a musical kiss to the things I’ve loved.”
Moubarak described Plum as a charismatic person, and someone who people are naturally drawn to. “Myself included,” said the director. “Working alongside Thelma, I realised we both share a passion for storytelling and nostalgia…and we both love Brisbane. The video for ‘Brown Snake’ embodies all of this. I’m humbled to have had the opportunity to collaborate with such a passionate and creative artist.”
Thelma Plum will embark on a national tour in support of the new EP, with GRAACE and Jem Cassar Daley appearing as special guests at the shows.
Thelma Plum – ‘Meanjin’ Tour 2022
- Thursday, 25th August – Blue Mountains Theatre, Springwood, NSW / Gundungarra and Dharug Country
- Friday, 26th August – The Cambridge, Newcastle, NSW / Awabakal Country
- Saturday, 27th August – UC Refectory, Canberra, ACT / Ngunnawal
- Thursday, 1st September – Forum, Melbourne, VIC / Wurundjeri Country
- Friday, 2nd September – The Gov, Adelaide, SA / Kaurna Country
- Saturday, 3rd September – Spring Time Festival, Gold Coast, QLD / Yugambeh Country
- Friday, 9th September- The Tivoli, Brisbane, QLD / Meanjin
- Saturday, 10th September- Nightquarter, Sunshine Coast, QLD / Kabi Kabi Country
- Friday, 16th September – Roundhouse, Sydney, NSW / Gadigal Country
- Saturday, 24th September – Good Day Sunshine Festival, Busselton, WA / Wadandi Boodja
Tickets on sale now.